Two Workers Are Killed at Boston Construction Site

The bodies of two construction workers were recovered on Wednesday morning from a hole in downtown Boston after police officers and firefighters responded to a report that two people had been struck by a vehicle, the authorities said.

The two men were pronounced dead at the scene after an emergency medical worker was lowered into the hole with a firefighter, officials said.

It was not immediately clear how the workers ended up in the hole. Gregory Long, Boston’s acting police commissioner, said at a news conference at the scene that officers had responded around 8 a.m. to a report that two people had been “struck by a motor vehicle” on High Street in central Boston.

The authorities did not release the men’s names or disclose the nature of the construction work they were doing.

John Dempsey, the commissioner of the Boston Fire Department, said that firefighters responded around the same time to a call “for a pedestrian struck by a truck,” and that they arrived to find the two men in a hole. A firefighter and an emergency medical worker were then lowered into the hole to assess the victims.

“At that point it was determined we were going to shift from rescue into a recovery mode,” Commissioner Dempsey said.

Rachael Rollins, the Suffolk County district attorney, said on Wednesday that her office would direct an investigation into the deaths, working in conjunction with the Boston Police Department and the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

“Right now we don’t know if this is a crime,” Ms. Rollins said. “We know that it’s a tragedy, and my office is here making sure these families know that we take this very seriously.”

In a statement on Twitter on Wednesday, Mayor Marty Walsh of Boston said the city had suspended work by the company involved in the incident on Wednesday, Atlantic Coast Utilities, at a second site in the city “until a thorough investigation is complete.”

“As a former laborer, the safety of our workers is of paramount importance to me,” Mr. Walsh said. “I’m heartbroken that two hardworking people lost their lives so suddenly and tragically this morning, and we will work tirelessly to understand how this happened in order to create safer conditions in the future.”

“At that point it was determined we were going to shift from rescue into a recovery mode,” Commissioner Dempsey said.

Rachael Rollins, the Suffolk County district attorney, said on Wednesday that her office would direct an investigation into the deaths, working in conjunction with the Boston Police Department and the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

“Right now we don’t know if this is a crime,” Ms. Rollins said. “We know that it’s a tragedy, and my office is here making sure these families know that we take this very seriously.”

In a statement on Twitter on Wednesday, Mayor Marty Walsh of Boston said the city had suspended work by the company involved in the incident on Wednesday, Atlantic Coast Utilities, at a second site in the city “until a thorough investigation is complete.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *